Chuyển đến nội dung chính

Marketing Revenue

ARC Review: Titans by Victoria Scott

Goodbye, reading slump.
Thank you, Victoria Scott!

Title: Titans by Victoria Scott
Release Date: February 23rd 2016
Published by: Scholastic Press
Source: Publisher

Buy: Amazon | Book Depository

Summary:

Ever since the Titans first appeared in her Detroit neighborhood, Astrid Sullivan’s world has revolved around the mechanical horses. She and her best friend have spent countless hours watching them and their jockeys practice on the track. It’s not just the thrill of the race. It’s the engineering of the horses and the way they’re programmed to seem so lifelike. The Titans are everything that fascinates Astrid, and nothing she’ll ever touch.

She hates them a little, too. Her dad lost everything betting on the Titans. And the races are a reminder of the gap between the rich jockeys who can afford the expensive machines to ride, and the working class friends and neighbors of Astrid’s who wager on them.

But when Astrid’s offered a chance to enter an early model Titan in this year’s derby, well, she decides to risk it all. Because for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, it’s more than a chance at fame or money. Betting on herself is the only way she can see to hang on to everyone in the world she cares about.

A very engaging read. That's something I didn't realize I need when I first started reading Titans. I'm in a year long slump, and Titans delivered a very entertaining story that just sucked me in right from reading page one.

I've had problems with female protagonists one too many times, and it seemed like I will have the same problem with Astrid. I feel like authors tend to make their female leads seem stubborn which will make them seem headstrong, but more often than not (and if not written properly), they will just come off as annoying. I was like that at first with Astrid. I was annoyed with her very much, but eventually my annoyance gave way to understanding. She's just a girl trying to save her family from falling apart completely, and she had been let down too many times to try and rely on others so she'd rather do something on her own. That in itself is admirable, and it made me understand her better.

What made Titans more charming for me are the addition of interesting characters around Astrid, supporting her. Her unlikely friendship with Rags and Barney, a pair of old but extraordinary and very intelligent people who can do a lot of great things. And I liked Magnolia from the very start. What a devoted friend, and really a friend to the truest sense of the word and I understand why one of Astrid's greatest fears is moving and leaving Magnolia behind. Where else will you find a friend who not only supports you in everything, despite having her own set of problems to deal with? Her quirky personality, her passion for art and her devotion for Astrid are what made Magnolia such a star in this book. And who can forget Padlock? I loved Padlock! Although I will admit, I thought the Titan's name will be a little more dramatic sounding, but Padlock was more than a horse for Astrid, though it was not like that at first. I liked how Astrid found another friend in him, and he was not just a means to an end, but a companion and a partner for a lonely girl who just want to feel loved, and was trying her best to take action when no one else would.

To be honest, what really made Titans an enjoyable read for me are the races. Victoria Scott didn't hold back and just described each race in such a way that the words swimming inside your head will effectively help you picture the scenes as they happen. What impeccable pacing! I keep on thinking how it would look like in real life. I feel the thrill, the danger, exhilaration and adrenaline through each obstacle and challenge the unlikely pair had to overcome. I was caught in each and every moment Astrid and Padlock push themselves on those tracks, with only one thing in mind: winning. There's more to the story than just racing, and I love how everything was incorporated to the novel. The strain in the dynamics of Astrid's family, her father's old fashion views, the perils of gambling and its consequences, a child blaming herself for a loved one's death, the gap between social classes and the social stigma one receives from being poor... all of these were woven in good timing inside the novel. Also, not every girl needs a love interest. I love how romance is not really a big factor in this, but that did not take away much from the story.

Thoroughly entertaining and addictive at times, Titan is a quick read that provides good entertainment for the readers in a good blend of sci-fi, fantasy, a side of angst and a healthy dose of action. Victoria Scott made it work! I did not let go until I flipped to the last page, and though the ending felt abrupt, this is one good read.

Content (plot, story flow, character):
The ending, as mentioned, felt a little abrupt. I kept on turning my ARC over wondering if I was missing a page or two! I was also able to figure out the ending way before I read the climactic scene.

Shining: Worthy of a Goddess' Love!

Book Cover:
Perfect visual for what the story is about!

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Review: Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge

I've grown up reading fairy tales with princes sweeping princesses off their feet, and that's how it's always been. Who would have thought that these tales can be re-imagined into something new that can pique a reader's interest? Title: Gilded Ashes (Cruel Beauty Universe) by Rosamund Hodge Release Date: April 1st 2014 Published by: Balzer + Bray Source: Bought Buy: Amazon Summary: Orphan Maia doesn't see the point of love when it only brings pain: Her dying mother made a bargain with the evil, all-powerful ruler of their world that anyone who hurt her beloved daughter would be punished; her new stepmother went mad with grief when Maia's father died; and her stepsisters are desperate for their mother's approval, yet she always spurns them. And though her family has turned her into a despised servant, Maia must always pretend to be happy, or else they'll all be struck dead by the curse. Anax, heir to the Duke of Sardis, doesn't believe in love ei...

ARC Review: Ask Me by Kimberly Pauley

She speaks the truth, and nothing but the truth. And where Aria Morse lives, that can get her into all sorts of trouble. Title: Ask Me by Kimberly Pauley Release Date: April 8th 2014 Published by: Soho Teen Source: Publisher (Thanks Ms. Jenny!) Buy: Amazon | Book Dpository Summary: Ask Aria Morse anything, and she must answer with the truth. Yet she rarely understands the cryptic words she‘s compelled to utter. Blessed—or cursed—with the power of an Oracle who cannot decipher her own predictions, she does her best to avoid anyone and everyone. But Aria can no longer hide when Jade, one of the few girls at school who ever showed her any kindness, disappears. Any time Aria overhears a question about Jade, she inadvertently reveals something new, a clue or hint as to why Jade vanished. But like stray pieces from different puzzles, her words never present a clear picture. Then there’s Alex, damaged and dangerous, but the first person other than Jade to stand up for her. And Will, who off...

Waiting on Wednesday (146): Magnolia + A Blind Spot for Boys

Hi! How are y'all doing? I had to think real hard and decide which books I want to feature as my WoW picks this week, and here they are! Have you heard of these books? Let me know by leaving comments below! Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine Title: Magnolia by Kristi Cook Release Date: August 5th 2014 Published by: Simon & Schuster Want? Add to your Goodreads list! Summary (from Goodreads): In Magnolia Branch, Mississippi, the Cafferty and Marsden families are southern royalty. Neighbors since the Civil War, the families have shared vacations, holidays, backyard barbecues, and the overwhelming desire to unite their two clans by marriage. So when a baby boy and girl were born to the families at the same time, the perfect opportunity seemed to have finally arrived. Jemma Cafferty and Ryder Marsden have no intention of giving in to their parents’ wishes. They’re only seventeen, for goodness’ sake, not to mention that one little problem: They hate eac...